If you’ve been a part time or full time freelancer, chances are that you have heard of workother. workotheris perhaps one of the largest freelance marketplaces online and they offer freelancers a ton of opportunity to network and get work. As a business owner or someone looking to get work done, you sign up, post a project and set your budget.
From there, hungry freelancers will submit proposals to your project. As a client, workother can be a great platform to get a project done on time and on budget. But, as a freelancer it can be challenging but still full of opportunity. Below are some of the pros and cons of the platform.
Recommended Reading: 9 Skills You Need to Bag That Hot Marketing Automation Job
Pros of workother
- There is a wide range of gigs and a massive amount of work available.
- You can build long term client relationships
- Easy to get started as freelancer
- workother has great search options to find focused work
Cons of workother
- workother can take 10%- 20% cut from your earnings
- Getting work is time intensive process
- You have to constantly submit offers to get work
- Hard to scale beyond a certain point
Guru has a similar framework to Upwork and can also help you find work as a freelancer. You can search for jobs and gigs for free and it has quickly become a favorite alternative to Fiverr for freelancers.
Pros of Guru
- Useful for smaller scale companies with a small staff of people
- They have agreements in place between freelancers and companies
- Very intuitive website and freelancer portal
- Great for freelancers who are just getting started
Cons of Guru
- The pay can be quite low compared to other platforms
- Can take a while for you to land a job
- Plenty of low quality gigs
Toptal is quite different from any of the other freelancing platforms due to the fact that they only accept less than 3% of all freelance applicants. This is due to their long screening process for freelance applicants and due to the fact that they work primarily with large scale companies in order to match them to top freelancers for projects and work.
Recommended Reading: 5 Tips to Write a Killer Meta Description
Some of the best and biggest companies like Netflix, AirBnB, Zendesk and HP use Toptotal to outsource work to talented freelancers. For this reason, Toptal accepts only the best and most skilled freelancers onto their platform. If you’re a highly skilled freelancer, this is the spot to be in order to earn top income.
You will be paid much more than any other platform if you can get accepted.
Pros of Toptal
- Top tier platform
- Screening process weans out low skilled freelancers
- High quality and top paying clients
- Work is much steadier and there are endless opportunities if accepted
- Low paying jobs are easily eliminated
Cons of Toptal
- Very difficult to get accepted into
- Long term process to get onboarded as a freelancer